Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: GPA 604-8H-III initial impressions...

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can hardly think of a driver less suited to an OB than a 604.

    This OB thing is a recent fad though some of us old timers made them many years ago before we read "How to Build Loudspeaker Enclosures" and learned exactly why they always sounded lousy.

    OBs are easy though and many people are skilled at making a virtue of a necessity.

  2. #22
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Abe, thanks for the gracious invitation, I'd love to experience your system. I've been to California though, and since I didn't leave anything there I probably won't be returning anytime soon. Far too crowded and busy for this laid-back hillbilly.

    I couldn't hear any real bass from your videos, though I did detect the upper harmonics from a standup. Good taste in music! In all fairness, I listened via the 1" speakers in my laptop... forums

    Of course, an individual's preferences are both subjective and semantic. If you're happy, I'm happy. It seemed like David was a little less than happy though, so I offered an explanation of why that might be.

    FWIW, even JE labs' own OB web page has the following to say in not-so-fine print;

    "Of course one cannot expect ultimate bass extension with an open baffle..."

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    Abe, thanks for the gracious invitation, I'd love to experience your system. I've been to California though, and since I didn't leave anything there I probably won't be returning anytime soon. Far too crowded and busy for this laid-back hillbilly.

    I couldn't hear any real bass from your videos, though I did detect the upper harmonics from a standup. Good taste in music! In all fairness, I listened via the 1" speakers in my laptop... forums

    Of course, an individual's preferences are both subjective and semantic. If you're happy, I'm happy. It seemed like David was a little less than happy though, so I offered an explanation of why that might be.

    FWIW, even JE labs' own OB web page has the following to say in not-so-fine print;

    "Of course one cannot expect ultimate bass extension with an open baffle..."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, of course. So it must be that my taste is less demanding regarding bass response.

    FWIW, I am not challenging anybody. I am just relating my experience on how I perceive the response of the OB in my room. I did listen to two sytems with the 620 cabs, and I have the 612C myself. All I can say is, they never "move" me to plan on making the cabinets.

    As always, my experiences only and never meant to intrigue anyone.

    Cheers and regards,

    Abe

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I meant to add that my brother (a Medical Doctor) is into woodworking as a hobby. He got his own private wood working shop and offered me to build the 620 cabs for free. Maybe I should take his offer and see for myself how the 604's will sound with my current equipment.


    regards,

    Abe

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    ohh....need own woodshop...must have...mmm

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Abe,

    Thatis a geat sounding and looking system. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Also thanks for emailing me the xover info.

    Too bad you are not near the South East, so I could listen to these speakers in person, but i really lke what I hear so far, even with the compression of youtube.

    Again, thanks for sharing.


    -chris

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Chris,

    We are OT already, I hope David can forgive us, but thanks and you are welcome!

    regards,

    Abe

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    OT? My life is OT! forums

    The Cary pre is back, and Goldfrapp is very appreciative. All is forgiven. Except for that damned rodent.

    Man, these GPAs can leave the ears in a state of...rock n roll grace.

  9. #29
    Inactive Member chrismercurio's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2008
    Posts
    31
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I posted my experience with my JE Labs OB at AudioCircle. We are getting together to listen again tomorrow.

    This is a cut and paste:

    All,

    On Saturday evening I took my speakers over to a friends house and three of us all listened to them for about 3 hours. The system included a VPI TNT, VPI JMW tonearm, Koetsu RSP, Shelter 501 Mono (my first mono experience was a great one), Quad pre, Quad 15w monoblocks, EAR 834P modified phono stage + my speakers. It was absolutely the most dynamic, and simultaneously one of the most musical and amazing stereo systems I have ever heard. I was a little reserved but the other two just couldn't stop gushing about the sound. Quotes from the event by my friends who normally hear Quad 989's in the same system, "It's one of the best if not THE BEST sounds ever! Most natural, most musical, and the air!"

    There is also a slight hardness in the upper midrange (that I attribute to the crossover...perhaps it will go away after 300 hours as I think I have about 200 now) that almost went away in my friend's system but is much more pronounced in my cheaper system. I plan on listening to them in a few more of my friends systems before the crossover is redone and am weighing building a nice looking OB and keeping them in it after what I heard on Saturday. I am still in awe of what I experienced. Unfortunately it means to reorienting of my room 90 degrees, and new furniture...$$$. So to anyone interested in these drivers I honestly feel that there are few better deals if you want world class sound for such a small investment.

    Best,

    Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.